The Carer Support Team is a volunteer service that gives practical and emotional support to the parents and carers in Starfish Children's Ward and the Children's Emergency Department at Watford General Hospital. Our support helps parents and carers to better care for their sick child.
How we help
Our trained volunteers provide practical and emotional support to carers so they can care better for their sick child. We can:
- Sit with a child while their carer takes a break to get food or have a shower
- Provide carers with a pack of toiletries
- Help a carer to compile questions for medical staff
- Provide a listening ear
- Organise an interpreter
- Provide practical information about the hospital such as parking concession rates or where to get food.
- Signpost carers to free family support and advice services in Hertfordshire.
In the last year we’ve supported 5000 carers.
After receiving support from one of our volunteers…